Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Pregnancy, The First Trimester Pt. 1

I've been wanting to post about my experience with pregnancy since the first week I found out we had conceived, but as you probably know it's better to wait a while. So, here is a little re-cap of how things have been going! Warning, I only know how to write honestly and openly, so there might be more information here than you care to know. :)

First of all, Isaiah and I have always known we wanted children. We didn't have a plan as to when we would start trying, and frankly we never got to that conversation. One day in the middle of September, I had the usual symptoms that would spell pregnant, but I honestly think I knew from the moment of conception. It was a feeling deep down, I felt different, I just knew. I had heard other mothers talk about this before but it shocked my how intuitive I felt. We took a test and it was definitely positive, so were the next seven. ;) It was shocking and wonderful. The next day I went out and immediately purchased three baby books and started studying up!

via (obviously I don't look this pregnant yet. ;)
 
 
Weeks 5 and 6 were a blur of excitement and shock. So much new information to take in, but I felt great. I went to the gym lots and continued eating healthy. We purchased pre-natal vitamins right away and I thought, "yea, pregnancy rocks!". So not the case for the next 3 weeks. I started to develop food aversions to all vegetables, most meat, and anything that smelled like anything. Tomatoes were especially strange- sour and foreign to my taste buds.
 
When I booked my first appointment I was informed that I wouldn't be seen until I was between 10 and 12 weeks. It seemed like forever to wait. We set our date for 10w5d, but around week 8 I got scared. My symptoms totally dropped off, to the point that I was worried. I read horrible stories online of miscarrying without the usual symptoms, and that the baby "just stopped growing". If you know anything about me, you know that I'm a worrier to begin with. Luckily, I went in for a few blood tests to confirm that my HCG levels were still on the rise. I was so relieved, and couldn't believe how attached I was to this little being already.
 
At our first appointment in November, we went through a few hours of blood draws, nurse visits, questioning, a visit with the doctor, and finally an ultrasound! Hearing our little babe's heartbeat was life changing. Strong and steady at 172 BPM. He was moving so much, almost like a little gummy bear! It was incredible. I was so happy that Isaiah and I got to experience that together. He's going to be the best dad.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment