Friday, August 24, 2012

Softly Spoken: Like Air

“Marriage is those two thousand indistinguishable conversations, chatted over two thousand indistinguishable breakfasts, where intimacy turns like a slow wheel. How do you measure the worth of becoming that familiar to somebody—so utterly well known and so thoroughly ever-present that you become an almost invisible necessity, like air?”
-Elizabeth Gilbert
Image by Crissie McDowell Photography via Style Me Pretty

On a couples' wedding day, I can't help but think of this quote. Isaiah and I haven't been married long enough for two-thousand breakfasts, but we have been through a lot in our time together. He can always count on me to remember that he does not like his steak cooked medium, but rather medium-well. I have the deepest comfort knowing that Isaiah will always kiss me on the cheek first thing in the morning. Even if I'm sleeping when he does it, I know he'll be right there with a little lovin' first thing in the morning. Marriage is truly becoming one person. My individuality became that much more poignant on our wedding day when we were made one.

This is the fabric of marriage. Knowing eachothers' thoughts at the core of your being. When I'm standing with a bride in the last moments before her ceremony, my heart is so full. She doesn't know how good it's going to get. When the officiant announces the new Mr. & Mrs., those smiles just about knock me over. Marriage is a gift, sometimes loud and most of the time quiet.

With a full heart,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment